Fort Worth Sues Federal Government and Chemical Companies Over “Forever Chemicals” in Water Supply

FORT WORTH, Texas — The city of Fort Worth has filed a lawsuit accusing the federal government, the military, and several chemical manufacturers of contaminating its water supply with harmful “forever chemicals.”

The lawsuit, filed Monday, targets per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), which have been discharged into Lake Worth. The city claims these chemicals, often called “forever chemicals” due to their persistence in the environment, were released by entities including the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, and chemical manufacturers like 3M, DuPont, and RTX Corporation (formerly Raytheon).

Fort Worth previously chose not to join a class action lawsuit with other municipalities, opting instead to file its own legal action in hopes of securing a larger payout — at least $420 million. “We are committed to protecting our drinking water and public health; this legal action is necessary in that effort,” a city spokesperson said.

The funds would be used to upgrade the city’s filtration technology to better target PFAS, in response to new federal guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2024.

Environmental experts have long sounded alarms about PFAS. “At very, very low concentrations, these chemicals are toxic,” said Sydney Evans, a Senior Science Analyst at the Environmental Working Group. “They build up in people’s bodies. Once they’re in the environment, they essentially don’t break down.”

Fort Worth argues that the alleged polluters should be held responsible for the costs of cleanup, rather than burdening taxpayers. The city named more than 20 defendants in its lawsuit, including various government departments and chemical companies. The suit alleges that the defendants were aware of the risks associated with PFAS as early as the 1970s but continued to manufacture, distribute, and sell the chemicals without proper warnings about their harmful effects.

The lawsuit focuses on the actions of the Department of Defense, particularly at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (formerly Carswell Air Force Base). It accuses the military of disposing of firefighting foam containing high levels of PFAS into stormwater systems, which ultimately discharged into Lake Worth. The lawsuit claims this practice has been ongoing for decades.

In 2020, Congress prohibited the military from using PFAS-containing firefighting foam in training exercises, with a deadline of October 1, 2025, for compliance. Military bases are known hotspots for PFAS contamination, according to experts like Evans.

The city also alleges that 3M was aware of the dangers of PFAS as far back as the 1950s, noting that the company knew these chemicals accumulated in humans and animals and did not break down in the environment. Furthermore, the lawsuit claims that 3M attempted to manipulate scientific research about PFAS by funding studies and influencing their publication to protect itself from litigation.

As a result of the contamination, Fort Worth says it has incurred significant costs for water testing and developing filtration systems. The city claims these costs will continue as it works to address the contamination.

The lawsuit comes amid growing concerns about the health risks of PFAS, which have been linked to serious conditions such as cancer and immune system disruption. Fort Worth is not alone in seeking accountability from the chemical companies; Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has also filed a lawsuit against 3M and DuPont for allegedly concealing the health risks of PFAS. Additionally, in February, a disaster declaration was issued in Johnson County after toxic levels of these chemicals were discovered on ranch land.