
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israel has launched airstrikes across the Gaza Strip that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says are “only the beginning” and “a necessary condition for freeing hostages.” The territory’s Health Ministry said the airstrikes killed at least 400 Palestinians, mostly women and children. Tuesday’s surprise bombardment shattered a ceasefire in place since January and threatened to fully reignite the 17-month-old war. Netanyahu ordered the strikes after Hamas refused Israeli demands to change the ceasefire agreement. The White House said it had been consulted and voiced support for Israel’s actions. A senior Hamas official said Netanyahu’s decision to return to war amounts to a “death sentence” for the remaining hostages.
(Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)